Find Relief for Your Aches and Pains with Physical Therapy!
If you are living with aches and pains, aquatic therapy can help you find comfort once again. Aquatic therapy is a type of physical therapy treatment that takes place in water, generally in an in-clinic pool.
It is also commonly known as hydrotherapy or aquatic rehabilitation and has soothing properties that can benefit you if you are seeking pain relief and relaxation.
To learn more about how our licensed Gastonia, NC physical therapists can assist you with aquatic therapy treatments, contact Compleat Rehab & Sports Therapy today!
What can I expect from aquatic therapy sessions?
Aquatic therapy sessions are very organized and typically begin with a warm-up. They all take place in the water and will likely begin with gentle, low-resistance exercises to target the lower and upper extremities.
This may include brief walking and light stretches. Then they will turn to more advanced cardiovascular and core activities, such as running, squatting, arm swings, and leg swings.
After your session, you will also have some cool-down methods. In many clinics, there will be a massage hose that provides a deep tissue massage-like experience. This prevents lactic acid from building up.
Aquatic therapy is a specialized form of physical therapy that we are happy to offer at Compleat Rehab & Sports Therapy.
Our Gastonia, NC physical therapists recognize the positive effect of using water treatments to improve motion and functionality while simultaneously allowing your muscles to relax.
How can I benefit from aquatic therapy?
Did you know that aquatic therapy is a method of relief that has been practiced for hundreds of years by many cultures?
The ancient Romans and Greeks bathed in hot springs for relaxation and to improve circulation. Hippocrates believed hot springs could heal sickness.
Swiss monks were well known to use thermal waters to treat sick people. The Japanese use hot springs to treat skin problems and relieve chronic pain.
Water’s natural properties set the stage for a very therapeutic environment, and they promote several healing benefits.
The benefits of aquatic therapy include:
- Building muscle strength and endurance
- Reducing stress and promoting relaxation
- Enhancing the healing process to decrease recovery time
- Increasing aerobic capacity for better health
- Improving coordination and balance
- Improving flexibility and movement
- Assisting with locomotion and gait
Aquatic therapy may be added to your current physical therapy treatment plan under the discretion of our Gastonia, NC physical therapist.
He or she will assist you in the movements that will best help you find relief.
What does aquatic therapy do?
Aquatic therapy at Compleat Rehab & Sports Therapy is able to provide the following:
- Relief. It can help provide relief for many conditions, including arthritis, chronic pain, lower back pain, orthopedic injuries, sprains, strains, and tendonitis.
- Improved Breathing. The respiratory muscles are forced to work harder during aquatic therapy, which helps you breathe better.
- Relaxation. It provides a soothing and relaxing environment for aching muscles and joints.
- Resistance. Its natural resistance can be used to increase the rehabilitation process and strengthen muscles.
- Wave propagation/turbulence. Wave propagation and turbulence allow our physical therapist to gently manipulate your body.
- Buoyancy. Water has a natural buoyancy for flotation and reduces gravity on aching muscles and joints. There is less pain when you exercise in water.
- Hydrostatic pressure. With its hydrostatic pressure, you’re supported and don’t have to fear falling while performing exercises.
Find relief with aquatic therapy today!
If you are in Gastonia, NC looking for relief and relaxation, aquatic therapy will likely be beneficial to you. Click here to request an appointment with Compleat Rehab & Sports Therapy today to get started!